Intensive Group Courses
9 or 10 days full days
(half a day in class + half a day of self study)
– Corona waves come and go. The Winter School is normally in January. We don’t want to put all our eggs in one basket! So, we will offer 3 course periods the upcoming season: October 2022, January 2023, March 2023, April 2023
– For those who live in the Netherlands: courses with a minimum end level of B1 can be paid with the STAP-budget (please note: housing costs are not funded by STAP, but we offer cheap accommodation options)
– As STAP-funding is not meant for leisure activities: our organisation won’t organise extra social activities like in previous years. But you’re always free to take the initiative and have nice evenings with your fellow students.
– New recognitions: CRKBO (vocational education), Bildungsurlaub
In 2014 we started the BLC Dutch Summer School. Based on the following principles:
– intensive language courses (with 100% focus) are more efficient than studying 1-2 times/week
– learn the language in the country where it is spoken
– living together = doing homework together, practicing the language with eachother, exploring the country together
– in a good social atmosphere you’re not afraid to make mistakes in class
– additional e-learning materials for a maximal result
We’re not the only one who believes in this formula: the Summer School attracts more than 300 students; while the previous editions of the Winter School had approximately 175 participants.
The only difference between the Summer School and the Winter School: the weather. So we’ll stay inside to study. And for the free time: we’ll come up with some extra social activities.
– with or without accommodation
– level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 (read: level descriptions)
– 1 or more sessions
Levels are successive. If you choose more than 1 session: make a separate booking for the next level at a later date.
– NRTO Terms and conditions
– NRTO Code of conduct
– Complaint procedure
– Student requirements
– Other relevant information
STAP-budget: our organisation has the NRTO Quality Mark. If you meet the conditions, you can pay courses with minimum B1 end level with the STAP-budget. The housing costs cannot be paid with the STAP-budget. Learn more here.
The prices of offline courses include: coffee/tea/water during lessons, access to online package #dutchgrammar-1, #dutchgrammar 2 and #dutchgrammar-3 (from 1 month before the course until 1 month after the course). Book not included (€ 39).
* 1 academic hour = 45 minutes.
** early bird discount:
– for online reservations with online payments, more than 2 months prior to the course
*** Starting from 2022: the Amsterdam accommodation is not offered as part of a package fee. If you want to do the course with accommodation in Amsterdam, you will pay the lessons-only fee, and you will receive a link to book directly at The Student Hotel – Amsterdam West. The mentioned price is an indication and may fluctuate. Terms of The Student Hotel will apply. The Winter School in Drenthe will continue to offer it’s services as a package fee where you pay for course and accommodation at the same time.
Stay at our Language Campus at ‘Landgoed Het Timmerholt’, options:
• bed in a shared room (double room, same gender)
• (small) single room, shared bathroom
• single use of a double room
• bedroom with private bathroom
Learn more here.
• wifi, shared kitchen, washing machine
• paid: bike rental
• location: 2 hours by train (1 stopover) from Amsterdam Airport, car-transfer (€5) from Beilen railway station to ‘het Timmerholt’ resort -> watch the map
• distance to the school: same location
From 2022 Amsterdam accommodation is not offered as part of a package fee, you can book the accommodation directly at The Student Hotel – Amsterdam West. The terms and conditions of the hotel will apply.
Choose Drenthe if:
– you can take off only 1 week from work, but still enjoy a 10-day program (arrival Friday evening, departure Sunday evening or Monday morning)
– you want to focus on studying in a quiet environment and be away from the daily hassle at home
– you prefer a nature environment above a city environment
– you want the full study & live together experience (95% of the students books accommodation)
– you’re looking for a program with a nice social atmosphere* outside the lessons
Choose Amsterdam if:
– you want full 2 weeks of study per session (and be free in the weekend)
– you want to enjoy Amsterdam in Winter
– you prefer a city environment above a nature environment
– you prefer to commute from home instead of booking accommodation
– you want a central location in the Netherlands to visit nearby cities like Utrecht, Leiden, The Hague, Rotterdam, Haarlem
– you’re not looking for engaging with other students next to class*
* The educational programs (books, lessons, materials) are the same on both locations. The main difference between our programs in Amsterdam and Drenthe is the social environment. Almost everybody in Drenthe books accommodation, whereas in Amsterdam less than half of the students does. You’ll definitely find like-minded students in Amsterdam with whom you can enjoy the city together, but if you’re looking for the total group experience, to find pepole to do homework together and practice speaking Dutch and ‘gezellige’ winter evenings, then Drenthe is a better choice!
Students of the Dutch Winter School, have access to our e-learning package during the course:
The e-learning package contains the courses:
– #dutchgrammar (level 0/A1)
– #dutchgrammar-2 (level A1/A2)
– #dutchgrammar-3 (level A2/B1)
Studying with the e-learning package is part of the homework. This way, students are well prepared in class. That allows our classes to be more efficient and interactive.
Every Winter School, we record videos with our students* about the Dutch language and their experiences with the Dutch culture.
These videos videos have millions of views in total on YouTube and Facebook.
Not only people who learn Dutch watch the videos, also Dutch people like to find out what foreigners think about their country!
Click here to watch the videos recorded at the Dutch Winter School.
* only students who volunteer to participate, no obligations!